15 Ways to Decorate with Burlap

It’s all about beautiful, versatile burlap today! Burlap is very popular in home decor right now. What’s so great about it is that it looks just as fabulous paired with reclaimed wood as it does crystal chandeliers. Burlap is also a relatively inexpensive way to add charm to any room.  If you like to do fun DIY projects, you can find tons of ways to use burlap and it won’t break your budget. And if you aren’t so inclined, shops are filled with burlap furniture and accessories that are all ready for you. I have to admit, I love to check out what the stores have then see if it’s something I can make myself (and for a lot less!) Here are 15 photos for inspiration!

1. Burlap Accent Pillows

Burlap Accent Pillows

Ballard Designs

2. Burlap Chair Bows

Burlap Chair Bows

Pinterest (Original Source Unknown)

3. Burlap Bed Skirt

14. Burlap Framed Picture Matting

Burlap Picture Frame Matting

Pottery Barn

15. Burlap Table Runner

Burlap Table Runner

Wedding Chicks

One thing I’d love to have is the Versailles Domed Burlap-Backed Chair. I’ve loved that chair since the first time I saw one in a hotel. I can’t make that, but I am looking forward to working on a couple of other burlap projects this month. Which one of the items I’ve shared with you today do you like the best or has inspired you the most?

Comments

melanie says

It is so hard to choose!!! I like them all! I could make those place mats, that table runner and that wall organizer! Love those framed picture mats too though. And that shower curtain…………….

Seeing all the great ways to use burlap also changed my way of viewing it, Laura. It can actually look so elegant!

Jen Goode says

I absolutely adore this collection of burlap decor ideas. Burlap and canvas are favorite textures of mine… I love seeing such elegant ideas using such a rustic style texture – gorgeous. Thank you for sharing all these great ideas!

Bliss says

I think my favorite is the chair with the ruffled skirt. Wonder how that feels to sit on next to skin because I really like that look and have some dining chairs in need of a redo.

~Bliss~

You can soften the burlap up a bit by washing it first. I think it would look fabulous on dining chairs!

Ann Butler says

These were all great but I especially loved the wall organizer; it is so cool! Thanks for sharing!

AdrianLarsson says

This may be a ridiculous question… but where do you buy the kind of burlap to do these crafts? I bought some off the internet that was so stiff, it was a pain to work with. I was able to hot glue it to cardboard boxes and make “baskets”, so not all was lost. Anyway, do regular fabric stores sell burlap?
    Thanks for the post!!

There’s no such thing as a ridiculous question, Adrian. :) Most fabric stores sell burlap. It’s always nice to be able to touch and feel what you’re buying. I’ve bought burlap at Joann’s and have been very satisfied with it. I know many of my readers have ordered it on-line. I’ll see what other sources I can find for you.

If anyone is reading this and has a suggestion, would love for you to add it to the comments! :)

Cindy says

How did you do the wallpaper? I am in the process of taking 2 layers of old wallpaper off my dining room walls and the wallboard is coming off with it. I think they put glue on the wallboard without painting first! This looks like an elegant solution for the mess I’m left with.

Wish I could take credit for it Cindy, but the burlap wall project is from Kara’s Kottage; the link is below the picture. And it’s actual burlap, not wallpaper. Therefore, the application is slightly different. I’ve never applied burlap to walls, but when I Googled “how to hang burlap on walls” countless tutorials came up. I’d recommend checking some of those out. Best of luck to you on your project! :)