Tin Can Crafts – 22 Fun Ideas That are Thrifty, Quick and Easy!

I’ve had a lot of fun finding fantastic tin can crafts to share with you today. There are so many creative minds out there coming up with such clever ideas. My to-do list got significantly longer in the process of looking for these craft projects! What’s so great about them is that not only are they fun, but they don’t cost a lot of money and are easy to make. Most of them are kid-friendly, too. Just make sure there are no rough edges on the cans when your kids get ready to work with them. Each one of these projects is made out of ordinary tin cans. There are soup cans, tuna cans, vegetable cans and even a coffee can project. This is recycling at it’s best! With a little paint and a few craft supplies, you can complete your tin can craft in no time at all. Here’s some inspiration for you. I’ve included links to any tutorials. Enjoy!

Tin Can Crafts

Tin Can Crafts 1

Top left: Wall storage, Midwest Living
To right: Cutlery Holders, Doodlebug Design, Inc.
Bottom left: Pin Cushion, Sewcraftlicious

Bottom left: Table Number Votives, 101 Layer Cake
Bottom right: High Gloss Planters, Original Source Unknown

Tin Can Crafts 3

Left: Burlap Covered Vase, Stampington
Top right: Twig Covered Vase, Martha Stewart
Bottom right: Jack 0′Lanterns, Martha Stewart

Which of these projects would you like to start on first? Do you have any other ideas for tin can crafts?

About Peggy Pardo

Interior decorator, professional organizer, DIYer, blog writer, author of The Moving Handbook
Tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Tin Can Crafts – 22 Fun Ideas That are Thrifty, Quick and Easy!

1. wow so cool! why did’nt i think of this!! Re tweetin immediately! I too believe crafts & DIY should be inexpensive.

2. Eileen Hull says:

Love this post Peggy! Here’s one from me- love tin cans and recycling! http://eileenhull.blogspot.com/2012/04/recycled-pencil-can.html

• Peggy Pardo says:

Hi Eileen! Glad you like it. Thank you for sharing your link. I just checked it out; it’s beautiful!! Love the flower. I wish I saw it before, because I definitely would have included it. I hope everyone follows the link, so they can see it too!

3. I just love the centerpiece on the long table with all of the different colors and patterns. This would be great for kids to do.
    I really love all the ideas- I have to go raid my recycling bin now….

4. Hi Peggy,
    OMGosh! These ideas are just fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing!!!

5. Laura Bray says:

Too much inspiration. Must go make pasta sauce so I can wash out the tomato cans and get to crafting.

• Peggy Pardo says:

I think there may be a run on the canned food section! We’re all wanting our cans now! Thanks for stopping by Laura!

6. Ann Butler says:

As always Peggy you don;t disappoint…love the post and the projects!

7. Pearl Maple says:

fab and fun ideas for creative recycling

8. These are great! I love all of these ideas.

9. melanie says:

This is a refreshing look at tin can crafts, alwys think about those pencil holders that you made in art class in kindergarten, these are more sophisticated!! There are some things I want to try. My mom’s “neighbor” made a tin can man and hung him on her porch. I took a picture and wanted to make one for my porch, haven’t done it yet though.

10. CherylB says:

You always find the best ideas. Loving the shabby chic cans.

11. Tabitha says:

I’m wondering…what about the sharp edges inside the can? Is there a way to keep them from cutting me or others?

• Peggy Pardo says:

If you open it with an electric can opener, there shouldn’t be any sharp edges. Hope this helps, Tabitha.

12. Pingback: Great TIN ideas | Destination Art

13. Joyce Lewis says:

I’m always saving tins….love what you have done with them. You’ve got my “juices” flowing.
    Thanks, Joyce

14. Heather says:

When I was a kid, I used to make Christmas ornaments with the lids and sharpies but now a lot of the cans have that plastic coating on one side. I love the Jack O’Lanterns!