Bathroom Towel Storage: 12 Quick, Creative & Inexpensive Ideas

Bathroom Towel Storage: 12 Quick, Creative & Inexpensive IdeasBathroom Towel Storage. Any bathroom, no matter if it’s large or small, can always use more storage. My master bathroom is plenty big enough, but surprisingly it doesn’t have a linen closet.  That’s required me to come up with alternative storage solutions. A few months ago I shared 28 Creative Bathroom Storage Ideas. Today, I want to focus specifically on bathroom towel storage. Bathroom towels can take up quite a bit of space. If you don’t have a place for them, it’s not only inconvenient but also can make the bathroom look cluttered. For inspiration I’ve found 12 quick, creative, and inexpensive ideas for you. These easy-to-do ideas can help you to keep your bath towels conveniently at hand and organized.

Bathroom Towel Storage

1. Turn the open area below a modern sink into useful storage space. To create storage, roll up towels and place them in contemporary wooden magazine racks.

Bathroom Towel Storage Ideas: Turn the open area below a modern sink into useful storage space. To create storage, roll up towels and place them in contemporary wooden magazine racks.

Better Homes and Gardens

2. Baskets are fabulous for storage. Use a large woven basket to hold rolled up bath towels. Then place it conveniently near the shower or tub.

Bathroom Towel Storage Ideas: Baskets are fabulous for storage. Use a large woven basket to hold rolled up bath towels. Then place it conveniently near the shower or tub.

Martha Stewart

3. Think vertically when planning storage in a small bathroom. A tall wall spine bookshelf is a great way to save on space and store lots of towels.

Bathroom Towel Storage Ideas: Think vertically when planning storage in a small bathroom. A tall wall spine bookshelf is a great way to save on space and store lots of towels.

Better Homes and Gardens

4. Rolled up towels fit perfectly in a standing wine rack. This is a great storage solution and keeps towels within easy reach. It’s also very decorative. Choose towels in colors to coordinate with your bathroom decor.

Bathroom Towel Storage Ideas: Rolled up towels fit perfectly in a standing wine rack. This is a great storage solution and keeps towels within easy reach. It's also very decorative. Choose towels in colors to coordinate with your bathroom decor.

Better Homes and Gardens

5. A flea market cabinet has found new life as a towel cabinet. Hung up just high enough on the wall to reach, it offers ample storage space without taking up a lot of room. A coat of white paint gives it a fresh, crisp look.

Bathroom Towel Storage Ideas: A flea market cabinet has found new life as a towel cabinet. Hung up just high enough on the wall to reach, it offers ample storage space without taking up a lot of room. A coat of white paint gives it a fresh, crisp look.

Martha Stewart

6. Warm up a white bathroom with a piece of rustic furniture. The open shelf design of this cabinet allows for quick and easy access to towels. With three shelves, it can hold lots of towels and bath supplies.

Bathroom Towel Storage Ideas: Warm up a white bathroom with a piece of rustic furniture. The open shelf design of this cabinet allows for quick and easy access to towels. With three shelves, it can hold lots of towels and bath supplies.

Home and Cottage

7. An antique stepladder slips neatly next to the sink in this vintage style bathroom. It’s been repurposed to provide a place for toiletries and towel storage.

Bathroom Towel Storage Ideas: An antique stepladder slips neatly next to the sink in this vintage style bathroom. It's been repurposed to provide a place for toiletries and towel storage.

Rosebud’s Cottage

8. With several rungs, an old ladder offers a unique and charming way to store bath towels.

Bathroom Towel Storage Ideas: With several rungs, an old ladder offers a unique and charming way to store bath towels.

Funky Junk Interiors

9. Just because it was meant for the living room or bedroom, doesn’t mean you can’t use it in the bathroom. This shelving unit found new purpose as a place to store towels. It reminds me a bit of a changing table. This would be a great way to repurpose one of those!

Bathroom Towel Storage Ideas: Just because it was meant for the living room or bedroom, doesn't mean you can't use it in the bathroom. This shelving unit found new purpose as a place to store towels. It reminds me a bit of a changing table. This would be a great way to repurpose one of those!

Better Homes and Gardens

10. Another way to take advantage of vertical space is by hanging baskets on the wall above the toilet or tub and using them to store towels.

Bathroom Towel Storage Ideas: Another way to take advantage of vertical space is by hanging baskets on the wall above the toilet or tub and using them to store towels.

I’m Busy Procrastinating

11. Chrome baskets hung on the wall offer a contemporary option for storing towels and facecloths.

Bathroom Towel Storage Ideas: Chrome baskets hung on the wall offer a contemporary option for storing towels and facecloths.

Mini Manor

12. If you like the idea of using a wine rack for towel storage but don’t have the floor space, opt for a wall hanging model. This particular style holds four sets of bath and hand towels while taking up very little space.

Bathroom Towel Storage Ideas: If you like the idea of using a wine rack for towel storage but don't have the floor space, opt for a wall hanging model. This particular style holds four sets of bath and hand towels while taking up very little space.

RJ Hutton

Which of these bathroom towel storage ideas do you like the best? What’s the most creative storage solution you’ve used in your bathroom?

Comments

Shannon Fox says

Beautiful post! I loved #5 (and that bathroom!) and #6, that rustic wood shelf. I wish my upper bath was large enough, I’d have Jim build me that. So cute. Just loved it!!

Doreen says

I like them all, but am especially drawn to #3, #5, #6 and #7. I’ve always loved the look of an armoire in the bathroom to store not only towels but linens, but of course most bathrooms aren’t large enough. For me, storing towels isn’t the issue, it’s what to do with them after they’ve been used that can be challenging. At our cabin, we have a towel warmer on the wall so that’s not a problem, but in our rental, we have to put them on hooks and I always think that looks sloppy.
    Great post as always Peggy!

Thank you, Doreen! Love the idea of a towel warmer. I’ve been considering putting one in our master bath. A nice warm towel sounds perfect! :)

Shelly Franklin says

my bathroom is extremely small…(probably the smallest you’ve ever seen!!!) so there is literally no room for storage…
    I like the wine rack idea…however…most wine racks are too big!!! I also like the wicker basket idea but have trouble finding those type of wicker baskets…there is definitely no room to sit anything on the floor … it has to go on the wall…i do have a shoe tote that goes over the door with pockets for storing items and also have a closet with a slanted ceiling with little space…anyone have any other ideas that might work???

Shelly Franklin says

oh yeah and i have a unit that sits over the stool…not a lot of space there either and to small to put towels in… =/

Doreen says

I’m not sure if you’ll see this Shelly, but check out this link http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Artisan_Space_Saver/950/. I know you mentioned you have storage over the toilet, but I think this option is nice as it keep some things hidden. Also, I came across something that is called ‘the clutter buster’ on Houzz http://www.houzz.com/photos/1006468/Clutterbuster–Family-Towel-Bar-White-modern-bathroom-storage. You can store at least 4 towels on it. It’s not beautiful, but it’s behind the door so who cares? ;)
    Peggy, I hope you don’t mind me hijacking your post! btw, regarding the towel warmer, yes, they’re wonderful, BUT, do not, I repeat, DO NOT make the same mistake I made and buy a cheap one. This is one item where you really do get what you pay for. My towels only get warm where they actually rest on the bars. Lesson learned.

Hijack away, Doreen! I’d love this to be a place where everyone can share ideas and help one another. Thanks for the tip on the towel warmer, too! :)

Brittany says

Where did the towel rack from #12 come from?? I am wanting to use it for blanket storage in my nursery!

Brittany says

I had seen one similar to that but it only has 6 spots and the one in the picture has 8 spots. Hmmmmm. Thanks though!

Grant Rae says

I really love #5 the flea market cabinet. Is there anywhere that sells that exact cabinet or something very similar thank you for these great ideas

I don’t know of any place that sells that exact cabinet, Grant. But if you’re handy, you could re-work a standard wall cabinet by adding longer shelves at the top and bottom, then adding some decorative brackets on the bottom. Removing the door insets will give it an open feel. :)

Ms. Nancy Lucky says

Great ideas I have a very small home 850 sq feet with one bathroom and lots of company. So where does everyone hang their towel until it drys? Even with me and my partner the bathroom has two doors as one goes into the master bedroom and one into the hallway. How silly when you think it is actually close for me to use the hall door. So I am thinking of closing off the door. Maybe on the bathroom side I can make some type of shelves where the door was. Or do you have any ideas. Using each door with hooks just doesn’t work for me it looks sloppy and not what I want. He is a temporary long term guest but I am going nuts. I have to come up with something clever or we can each hang our two towels we use on the back of our bedroom doors. Plus his towels don’t match, I am so sick of the toilet seat up. I have been living alone for 25 years after being married for 20 so I like my space and I like it clean and tidy. HELP!!!! Thanks

Have you tried one of those over the door towels holders with towels bars instead of hooks, Nancy? It’s not a permanent fixture, so you can remove it if your needs change. As for the doors – If the second door into the master bedroom isn’t convenient, extra shelving in a bathroom is always a nice feature.

That’s a great idea, Caroline! I love hearing from my readers about new uses for items. Thank you so much for sharing that cool tip! :)

SUSAN ANDREW says

To Peggy Pardo,

I just love the magazine rack idea for towels (first photo) and plan to put these into my bathroom also. But where can I find these type of Magazine Rack, I have searched and cannot find. I hope you can help me with this.

Kindest regards Sue Andrew

Lynn kotze says

I was thrilled to see your ideas for bathroom towel storage. I have a very small bathroom. Love the ladder idea, but where can I buy one of these? Many thanks

If you do a search on Google for “ladder shelving”, you’ll find several places where you can buy these units including Target, Walmart, Overstock and Kohl’s to name just a few. :)