Small Space Storage Ideas. In smaller spaces, storage is at a premium. One of my first apartments was a studio. Just about every piece of furniture I had in there did double duty. My couch opened up into a bed. My dresser was also a TV stand. I found a cool buffet cabinet on wheels that I used in the kitchen for prep space. Since I had about 2 feet of counter space in there, I needed all the extra I could find. My storage went up the walls and over doors. The apartment was what a realtor would call “cozy”. But it was all my space. If we only had Ikea back then, I could have really gone to town!
No matter what size a space is, it can always benefit from more storage. But especially so for small spaces. Here are 15 fun and creative ideas to help you add much needed storage to a small space. They work great in larger spaces, too. 🙂
Small Space Storage Ideas
1. Utilize space between studs to add shelving. Most studs are placed 16″ apart, which would allow for shelves that are about 15″ wide and 3″ deep. This would be ideal down a long hallway. Add glass shelves and lighting for display or cabinet doors to hide stored items. Install adjustable shelves to allow for easy changes.
2. Here’s a great idea that utilizes the space beneath the stairs. Turn the steps into drawers. Lots of stairs means lots of storage drawers.
3 and 4. Surround a door or window with shelves. Use purchased units or cabinets to give the look of built-ins. Then run a shelf across the top from one side to the other to unite them. Or build them yourself with the help of this tutorial.
5. Make the most of limited space by using a headboard that features built-in storage.
6. Transform an armoire into a pantry, linen closet or craft storage. It’s a great way to increase storage in any room.
7. When you take the pillow off the bed at night, toss them in a basket. That way you won’t trip over them in the morning.
8. Add casters to the bottom of stock cabinetry. It offers much needed storage and additional prep space. When not in use, just roll it out of the way.
9. The unused area beneath the stairs is a great opportunity for storage. Add built-in drawers and increase the storage in a small space.
10. Place the bed on a platform with pull-out drawers or use under-bed storage boxes.
11. Install wall-to-wall and floor-to-ceiling shelves around the toilet to create much needed storage space.
12. If there’s no space for a separate office, turn a closet into one. When you’re done with your work, simply close the doors.
13. Take advantage of vertical space by installing book shelves from the floor to the ceiling.
14. Use open shelving or remove cabinet doors to visually expand the kitchen. Store items in decorative baskets and bins or neatly display them on the shelves.
15. Hide file cabinets by covering them with a table skirt. Then, use the surface as a buffet or desk. Check out this great Table Skirt Tutorial.
Which of these storage ideas do you like the best? Do you have any small space storage solutions that you’d like to share?