Furniture Makeovers: The Amazing Power of Paint

I love furniture makeovers! One of the best ways to save money when decorating is to repaint old furniture. Never underestimate the power of paint when it comes to transforming things that are outdated or worn out. (If only it worked on clothes and people! :)) A bright bold color in a glossy finish gives an instant update to just about anything. While distressed finishes can take the newest piece and make it look like a vintage antique. For your inspiration, I’ve found 10 amazing furniture makeovers done with paint. Each one has a detailed how-to. Just follow the link to see how it was done.

Furniture Makeovers: Before and After

Furniture Makeovers: The Power of Paint - Vibrant green paint gave this sad china cabinet a glamorous and sophisticated new look. More photos and details here.

Dimples and Tangles

The magic of paint transformed this wood armoire and brought attention to all its fine details. More photos and information here.

Furniture Makeovers: The Power of Paint - The magic of paint transformed this wood armoire and brought attention to all its fine details. More photos and details here.

All Things Beautiful

Furniture Makeovers: The Power of Paint - New brass lion pulls and dynamic high-gloss blue paint took this side table from ho-hum to fabulous. More photos and details here.

Splendid Willow

Furniture Makeovers: The Power of Paint - A compass rose and stripes added much needed charm to this dull, dried-out brown dresser. There is the cutest story that goes along with this makeover. You can read it here and see more photos of this project.

The Empty Nest

The look of this boring pine armoire earned it the name “Beastly”. Painting it in just the right blue completely updated it. More photos and details here.

Furniture Makeovers: The Power of Paint - The look of this boring pine armoire earned it the name "beastly". Painting it in just the right blue completely updated it. More photos and details here.

Hi Sugarplum

This mid-century modern dresser had great lines. All it needed was a little revamping. A bit of paint and a cute stencil helped it become a classy vintage piece. More photos and details here.

Furniture Makeovers: The Power of Paint - This mid-century modern dresser had great lines. All it needed was a little revamping. Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and a stencil helped it become a classy vintage piece. More photos and details here.

Because I Like to Decorate

Furniture Makeovers: The Power of Paint - The grey and white painted harlequin pattern added a touch of whimsy to an old piece of furniture and gave it new life. More photos and details here.

Kristen F. Davis Designs

Furniture Makeovers: The Power of Paint - Painting a fun pattern of white birch trees on a grey background revitalized this dresser. It can now be repurposed for any room in the house. More photos and details here.

Painted Therapy

Removing dated glass panels and painting it in a sophisticated color changed this cabinet’s entire personality. More photos and details here.

Furniture Makeovers: The Power of Paint - Removing dated glass panels and painting it in a sophisticated color changed this cabinet's entire personality. More photos and details here.

Simple Details

Furniture Makeovers: The Power of Paint - The fabulous yellow finish on this desk armoire was done with spray paint and glaze. More photos and details here.

All Things Thrifty

Later this week, I’ll be sharing furniture painting tips from some of the top DIY bloggers. Be sure to look for it!

Which one of these makeovers do you like the best?

Comments

says

Can you imagine a world without paint?? There is practically nothing it can’t transform. A few months ago I even saw spray paint for fabric. Think of the possibilities!

I’ve seen that paint too, Doreen. I’ve been wanting to try it on some craigslist chairs I bought. The plan is to reupholster them, so they’d be perfect for testing out the paint. 🙂

says

Hello Peggy,
    What a lovely surprise to find my little Gypsy dresser featured on your blog…many thanks! It is my most favorite piece to date.
    So many other great transformations also…I love what Chalk Paint® decorative paint by Annie Sloan can do to so totally restyle a piece of tired furniture. You fall in love all over again.

Thanks again and have a wonderful week,
    Janet Metzger,Chalk Paint® Stockist
    The Empty Nest
    92 Main Street #102
    Warrenton, Va
    540-216-3044

You’re very welcome, Janet! It’s such a cute project and I love the story that goes along with it. Hope you have a wonderful week, too! 🙂

says

What a great round-up of transformations, Peggy! Love the stenciled piece and Jennifer’s green china cabinet is such a great addition to her dining room. The yellow cabinet is so fun and lively! Thanks so much for including my hutch redo! 🙂

You’re very welcome, Janis. The armoire you did is absolutely gorgeous! I love the finished project! 🙂

Paint is magical! I always love a transformation that makes such a marked difference in a piece. Plus, the color is beautiful! Thank you for stopping by Linda! 🙂

Kammi says

Peggy, thank you for you’re article. It’s helpful to find a lot of the information I need for my projects all in one place. I found a china cabinet at th local auction that I love bu I am having a hard time figuring out what colors I could use that would compliment the fabulous brass pieces. I’m going to repurpose it and put it in my formal bathroom. The cabinet could be described as classy and intricate. Could you help me figure out what colors I can use to complement the brass pieces?!? Thank you. Oh, I love numbers 1, 2, and 3. Especially 2!

Deep rich colors always look fabulous with brass, as does black. What colors are in your room? What colors do you love?

Kammi says

Thank you for replying so quickly. I love the dark blues and greens that I’ve seen but I doubt I could get my husband to sign off on those. At least I haven’t found any yet. I think my favorites have been black and strangely a brown one (it was new not redone). My husband’s style is more modern and sleek and my style is vintage with a little eclectic. Very different. Our basement is unfinished and we plan to build a bathroom down there and I thought it would be fun to repurpose the china cabinet and put it in there to store linens and a few decorative items. Maybe put some stand alone sinks and some sort of door knobs or something fun to hang towels on down there. I was thinking travertine tile (I know it chips but I still like it). This is the biggest project I’ve done and I’m hoping that it’ll all come together nicely. I’d hate to paint my cabinet in blue or green and then not feel like it jives with my bathroom set-up. it’s the guest bath so I want it to be relaxing and beautiful. I feel like I know what I want the end result to look like but I’m just fuzzy on the details in between.

Sounds like a great project! You can never go wrong with black. It goes with everything. I painted an antique china cabinet in black and it looked fabulous; it was one of my favorite pieces. 🙂

Betsy says

Peggy, how much do you paint the interior of your pieces? I ahve a two piece armoire and I don’t need to paint the interior of the drawers unless I want to right? i will add paper to the bottom of each drawer.
    The top section was set up to be an entertainment center, but my hubby added shelves to the inner wood rack that held the TV. I do want to paint that part of the top. It is an interesting piece and will be difficult to get it all painted, so I was wondering if you automatically paint it all a couple of coats, or decide piece by piece. And what about that back, it won’t show so I hoped just one coat of paint would be sufficient. I don’t want to paint the underneath if i don’t have to either!
    Hope to hear from you!
    Betsy

Hi Betsy! I don’t paint the interiors of my drawers. Usually a good cleaning will get them in order. I then add drawers liners. I paint the backs of my furniture, because I like the finished look. (However, if I’m doing a wax coat or special finish over the base color, I don’t do that on the back.) Painting the back is a personal preference; you don’t have to do it if you don’t want to. And I don’t paint underneath unless it can be seen. Any parts that can be seen should always be painted. Happy painting! 🙂