Choosing colors for rooms doesn’t have to be overwhelming. To make it easier for you, I’ve put together four questions you should ask yourself when trying to choose colors that are right for your home. After each question, I’ve also included a few color ideas. These questions are just to get the ball rolling. You’ll also want to check out my post on Uncovering Your Design Style. The more you know about what you like, the easier it will be for you to make design choices that fit your lifestyle and personality.
What to Consider When Choosing Colors for Your Home
1) How are you going to be using the room?
- Neutral colors are great for family rooms
- Yellow is a cheerful, lively color that works well in kitchens
- Reds are the most popular for dining rooms
- Blues and soft tones are relaxing in bedrooms
- Greens help to bring the outdoors in and can also be calming
- Black and white add drama and elegance
2) What kind of atmosphere do you want to create in the room?
- Calm and relaxing – cool blues, soft greens, aquas
- Cheerful and energetic – yellow, orange (orange is very powerful, use with care)
- Cozy and inviting – red, warm tones
- Dramatic and elegant – black, purple, deep colors
- Clean and crisp – white
- Laid back and casual – neutrals, warm tones
3) How much natural light does the room get?
- Almost no natural light – Whites and lighter colors will reflect whatever light is available. Dark colors will absorb light and make the room feel even darker.
- Limited natural light – Yellows and cheerful colors will brighten things up. You can also use whites and lighters colors to reflect more light.
- Lots of natural light – Blues, greens and deeper tones can be used liberally. Use reds to warm it up and make it feel cozy.
4) What words would you use to describe your personality?
- Relaxed – neutrals, green, blue
- Sophisticated – deep purple, black & white
- Cheerful – yellow, orange, bright colors
- Romantic – pink, lavender, creams
- Friendly – red, yellow
Choosing colors for your home doesn’t have to be scary. Asking yourself a few simple questions will help you to narrow your focus on colors that will work best for you and your home.
To help you even further, I created collections of the favorite colors of top designers. You’ll find some fabulous colors from which to choose!
- Yellow Paint Colors: Favorite Picks from Designers
- White Paint Colors: Favorite Picks from Designers
- Red Paint Colors: Favorite Picks From Designers
- Blue Paint Colors: Favorite Picks From Designers
- Choosing Paint Color: Candice Olson’s Favorite Neutrals
- Choosing Paint Color: Sabrina Soto’s Favorite Colors