Painting Interior Doors, Trim & Walls the Same Color

Ask The Decorating Files: This week’s question concerns painting interior doors and trim…

I live in a condo built in the 70′s. It is long and narrow with a front door that opens to a narrow hallway with many doors (6).  I am getting ready to paint the hallway and have picked a color for the wall, Paladium Blue by Sherwin Williams. I hesitate to paint the doors and trim around them some version of white, because I feel it will just highlight them. Would it be a good idea to paint the doors and trim the same color as the walls? Thanks, Paula

You’re right, Paula.  Painting the doors and trim white will make them stand out. Painting them the same color as the walls will help them to blend in and almost disappear.  This is a great idea for a narrow hall with so many doors. If you’d like a bit of contrast, you can go a shade lighter or darker for the trimwork and doors. The doors will still blend in with the walls. For the walls, I’d recommend using a satin or eggshell finish and a semi-gloss on the trim and doors. For inspiration, here are 10 rooms in which the walls, doors, and trimwork are painted the same or similar color.

Painting Interior Doors and Trim the Same Color

1 This hallway has lots of doors in it, too. But they don’t jump out at you, because they blend in with the wall color. The focus is on the skylight, beautiful doorway, and decorative sconces.

Painting Interior Doors, Trim & Walls the Same Color | The Decorating Files | decoratingfiles.com

T. Symington & Co. Interiors

2 In this room, the built-in cabinetry was also painted in the same color as the walls, doors and trim. Notice how this helps the accessories stand out.

Designer: Angie Hranowsky

3 Light curtains with a Greek key accent and white matting on the artwork and accessories keep the gray in this room from becoming to heavy.

Better Homes and Gardens

4 Finishing the fireplace mantel in a lighter color gives it more prominence in this dining room.

Veranda

5 Deep colors on the walls and cabinetry create a cozy library. The light ceiling and area rug balance out all the darker tones.

Candace Cavanaugh Interiors

6 Plenty of natural light flows into this mudroom. Painting everything the same color visually expands the small space.

LDA Architecture & Interiors

7 Deep blues make for an inviting room. The large window provides lots of light and opens the space.

Elle Decor

8 A mix of modern and traditional furnishings look fabulous in this dark blue study. I love the clean lines of the white lacquered nesting tables and the contemporary twist on wingback chairs.

Porter Design Company

9 Blue is a hot choice for rooms! In this photo, you can see that the doors and trimwork are done in a gloss finish.

Sally Wheat Interiors

10 The amazing crown molding in this room is able to take center stage when the walls and trim are all painted in the same color.

Farrow & Ball

If you have a design dilemma that you’d like help with, use this form to submit your question.

Comments

Stacey says

Good morning, I have two dilemmas. First, we have huge crank out kitchen windows. What would be a nice window treatment for them? I was thinking shutters… Also, I am looking for a sofa/corner love seat for a kitchen nook?

Thanks

You can never go wrong with shutters, Stacey. Plantation shutters with wide slats are my favorite window treatment. As for your nook, you could have something custom made to fit the corner or purchase one that is ready-made. If you Google “corner banquette seating” you’ll find a variety of stores that sell banquette seating – Pottery Barn, Hayneedle, Amazon and Walmart are just a few that came up. :)

Carrie says

I am so glad I’ve found your blog. Do you mind if I ask you a question? I am in the process of painting my house throughout. I’ve always in the past used off-white for trim – skirting boards, architrave, as doors. This time however, I am looking at takings the colour over the woodwork. I’ve got myself in a muddle however. Do window frames and sills also get painted the same? What about doors? I feel there needs to be a few white accents, but not sure if you can do half and half or whether it needs to be all white or no white! Also, if you do all the same colour, does the woodwork need to be eggshell or emulsion?

Thanks so much for your help!

says

I’m glad you found my blog to, Carrie and I’m happy to help with your question. You can paint the baseboards the same color as the walls and paint the frames, doors, and sills white. By painting the baseboards the same color as the walls, it will help to add height to the room. Since they will blend in with the walls, essentially “disappearing”, the white won’t look out of place on the rest of the woodwork. I always recommend a a semi-gloss finish on trimwork. :)

Pamela says

I’be been repainting my entire kitchen and living room. I’m painting the baseboards and trim white. My dilemma is, do I have to paint the doors white, or can I leave them stained? Second do I have to paint my baseboards and trim white up stairs now? Thank you for any suggestions I’m confused!

says

Happy to help, Pamela. You don’t have to paint the cabinets in you kitchen. They will look fine with the white trim. It sounds as though your trim upstairs is natural wood stain. As to whether or not to paint upstairs, is there a clear separation between the upstairs and downstairs or do they flow together? My personal preference is for trim to be the same throughout the house for continuity. (Though, I have been known to do something different with the trim in certain rooms for overall design – such as bright red baseboards in an all-white kid’s bathroom and black trim in a gentleman’s study) It also helps for resale if you plan on selling anytime soon. The decision is yours. :)

Pamela says

Thanks Peggy I plan to keep my cabinets stained. But what about the doors? I’m painting the trim around them white is it ok to leave them stained? Thanks for the help!

says

Yes; you can leave the doors stained. If you go to Houzz and search “stained doors with white trim”, you’ll find lots of images with this treatment. This will give you an idea of what it will look like. :)

Pamela says

Oh my thanks Peggy you have completely saved me from losing it if I have to paint one more thing! I have one last question :) I scratched off an area on my trim that had a drip bubble from too much paint. Still very wet. It pilled off when I did that. Now I’m freaked I painted over oil based stain if that makes since? How soon would it peel or how would I know? Thanks a billion