10 Inspiring Kitchen Backsplash Ideas

The backsplash is one of the most important parts of a kitchen’s design.Β It pulls everything together and can make or break the entire flow. Choose the wrong color scheme or style and the whole kitchen can become disjointed. I love choosing backsplashes because there are so many amazing options out there, it’s so much fun looking for the perfect one for the space I’m working on at the time. Besides just color, there are myriad options available such as material, texture, pattern, size and more. I’ve put together 10 kitchen backsplash ideas to inspire you for your next kitchen renovation.

Kitchen Backsplash Ideas

1 One of the most timeless and popular looks for a kitchen backsplash is white subway tile. It’s classic, never goes out of style, and can be paired with any color. It alsoΒ comes in just about any color from blue to orange and everything in between. If you want the white tiles but with a different flair, try choosing a grey grout.

10 Inspiring Kitchen Backsplash Ideas | Decorating Files | decoratingfiles.comSmitten Studio

2 If you’re looking for charm, exposed brick can always be counted on to do the job. While not the easiest material to clean, it does look really cool and brings a lot of character to a space.

10 Inspiring Kitchen Backsplash Ideas | Decorating Files | decoratingfiles.comMad & Bolig

3 Textured glass tiles like the ones below look great in a contemporary coastal kitchen. They mimic the water and have clean lines that bring both serenity and simplicity.

10 Inspiring Kitchen Backsplash Ideas | Decorating Files | decoratingfiles.comCountry Living

4 This tile in a Moroccan pattern adds a lot of flair to this kitchen while still maintaining an understated elegance.

10 Inspiring Kitchen Backsplash Ideas | Decorating Files | decoratingfiles.comBetter Homes & Gardens

5 Metallic tiles reflect light in this elegant industrial style kitchen, adding a bit of glam and a lot of style.

10 Inspiring Kitchen Backsplash Ideas | Decorating Files | decoratingfiles.comHGTV

6 Staggered tile looks really cool as a backsplash, capturing a very natural feel while still bringing that high-gloss contemporary look.

10 Inspiring Kitchen Backsplash Ideas | Decorating Files | decoratingfiles.comShuffle Interiors

7 We see the chevron pattern everywhere ─ but how about as a backsplash? It’s a very neat and creative use for a timeless pattern.

10 Inspiring Kitchen Backsplash Ideas | Decorating Files | decoratingfiles.comCultivate

8 Bead board is great affordable option for a backsplash. It has a classic cottage look and is very durable, not to mention easy to paint if you ever want to give your kitchen a new look.

10 Inspiring Kitchen Backsplash Ideas | Decorating Files | decoratingfiles.comTraditional Home

9 Stone, especially when the tiles are little uneven as shown in this beautiful kitchen, offer a wonderful rustic charm through their natural color and texture.

10 Inspiring Kitchen Backsplash Ideas | Decorating Files | decoratingfiles.comDesigner: Nicole Helene

10Stainless steel was made for more than just appliances. Sheets of stainless steel make a very durable and modern backsplash.

If you were redoing your kitchen today, which one of these backsplash ideas would appeal most to you?

Comments

lesley says

Love number 8 and will probably be doing that quite soon but I have to say that kitchen number 1 is the loveliest kitchen I have ever seen

Both are beautiful choices. I’m sure your kitchen is going to look amazing, Lesley! πŸ™‚

says

I love them all Peggy. Truly. We had stainless tiles in our previous home and they really added a contemporary flair and sparkle to the space and coordinated nicely with the stainless appliances.

I love the stone, glass, beadboard…all of them. It would depend on the setting and mood I was going for of course, but all the examples you’ve shown are stunning!

Thank you so much, Doreen. I’m with you; I love them all! Thank you for your lovely comment. πŸ™‚

That sounds beautiful, Lorna. I love Moroccan tiles, too. So glad you enjoyed the post. πŸ™‚

says

Great ideas for the backsplash. I love the idea of bead board for a backsplash because I like to change up colors. Is this the same wooden bead board that is used on cabinets and walls? If so, is it nailed on or glued on? would you have to seal it?
    thanks, Brenda

Those are great questions, Brenda. Most installations such as this are done with wood beadboard. As far as how the installation is done, it depends on what type of walls you have. You’d have to consult a professional. The pros at your local home improvement store should be able to help you. They can also let you know if you need to seal it. πŸ™‚

Melanie says

Redid ours a few months ago and used the beadboard. I love it! It is pretty and was not expensive at all. I am very happy with the choice! Like you said, if you change colors, it is easy to paint!

You get a lot of bang for your buck with beadboard. Bet it looks great, Melanie! πŸ™‚

Erica says

I love the backsplash for number 6 the staggered tile look with the gloss. What is it called and who make s it!? Beautiful I would love to do that in my kitchen my counter tops and cabinets are very similar.

says

That is gorgeous tile, Erica! According to the designer, the tile is by Statements Tile (www.statementstile.com) and it’s called Vetro by Casa Dolce Casa in Matte Bianco – 8×10 Sfalsato Sheet (Stagger Set). The grout is Hydrogrout in White.

cathy says

I’ve seen these styles come and go and yes, they are very pretty. Before you decide, think about cleaning cooking splashes like pasta sauce, dust, grease. The uneven stone or brick is horrible to clean.

says

Excellent point, Cathy. As with any surface you install in a much used room, always consider the upkeep it requires. Thank you for joining the discussion. πŸ™‚

Tonya says

I am doing a three for one! Stainless steel subway tiles in s chevron pattern with high gloss cobalt blue cabinets and stainless steel chef table for an island! I know, I just blew your mind πŸ˜‰ but seriously, I am really proud of my design and can’t wait to get started!

Karen says

Breadboard, classic easy to clean, easy to change with a fresh coat of paint and much less time consuming to install!